Larry R. Davis
Professor : Accounting Department
Send an email
Larry Davis’ teaching interests include financial accounting and auditing at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. He has taught at the University of Notre Dame, the University of Minnesota, Michigan Tech, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh and Boston college. As a teacher, he is fond of telling his students that accounting is as much the art of judgment as it is the science of measurement and that in the end the only thing an accountant really has to sell is her credibility. He has won or been nominated for teaching awards at Notre Dame, the University of Minnesota and Michigan Tech. As an advisor to the accounting clubs at Michigan Tech and St. Thomas, he has worked with students to provide financial consulting services to various nonprofit organizations.
Davis' current research focuses on the market for assurance services and the relations between individual learner characteristics and performance in e-learning environments. His work has appeared in journals such as The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research and Experimental Economics. He was formerly on the editorial board of the International Journal of Auditing. He is currently president of the Midwest Region of the American Accounting Association.more
B.S., accountancy, Miami University
M.B.A., Indiana University
Ph.D, business (accounting), Indiana University
- Auditor regulation
- Audit market structure and audit quality
- The ability to meet or beat earnings in the period preceding an auditor change
- Restatements and auditor switches in the pre- and post-SOX periods
- Demand for non-audit assurance services
- Technology-acceptance and e-learning
- Davis, Larry, Chelly Vician and Mari Buche, "Does Technology Acceptance Affect E-Learning in a Non-Technology Intensive Course?" Journal of Information Systems Education 23:1 (2012).
- Davis, Larry, P. Joyce and M. Roeloff, "My Money or Yours: House Money Payment Effects," Journal of Experimental Economics 13 (Summer, 2010): 189-205.
- Davis, Larry, B. Soo and G. Trompeter, "Auditor Tenure & the Ability to Meet or Beat Earnings Forecasts," Contemporary Accounting Research 26:2 (Summer, 2009).
- Davis, Larry and C. Vician, "Investigating Computer Anxiety and Communication Apprehension as Performance Antecedents in a Computing-Intensive Learning Environment," Journal of Computer Information Systems (Fall/Winter, 2002/2003).
- Davis, Larry, D.N. Ricchiute and G. Trompeter, "Audit Effort, Audit Fees and the Joint Provision of Nonaudit Services to Audit Clients," The Accounting Review (January, 1993).