Sergey S. Barabanov
Associate Professor : Finance Department
Send an email
Sergey Barabanov’s research and teaching interests are in the areas of institutional investors, investor behavior, asset pricing, hedge funds, portfolio management, and equity and business valuation.
He has received several scholarly honors for his work, including the Outstanding Paper Award at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence (2008), Gold Medal for Academic Excellence (Russia), and has finished fourth, sixth and ninth in the All-Russian Academic Olympiads in physics, math and chemistry, respectively.
Barabanov is an active member of the Western Finance Association, American Finance Association, Financial Management Association International and Midwest Finance Association.
He earned his M.S. and B.S. in international economics and management at the University of Maryland-Far Eastern National University, Russia, and a B.A., M.B.A. and Ph.D. in finance from Washington State University.
Barabanov has served as CFO, controller, accountant-in-chief and a business consultant at several international firms and government agencies.more
M.S./B.S., international economics and management, University of Maryland-Far Eastern National University, Russia
M.B.A., Washington State University
Ph.D., finance, Washington State University
- Institutional investors
- Investor behavior
- Information asymmetries
- Securities litigation
- Asset pricing
- Hedge funds
- Portfolio management
- Equity and business valuation
- Class action litigation and institutional ownership
- Institutional ownership and analyst recommendations
- Market perception of information asymmetry and stock returns
- Post-IPO litigation and institutional ownership
- Market neutral investment strategy
- Portfolio diversification
- Barabanov, Sergey S., O. Ozocak, T. J. Walker and H. J. Turtle, "Institutional Investors and Shareholder Litigation," Financial Management 37:2 (2008): 227-250.
- Walker, T. J., D. Thiengtham, O. Ozocak, and S. Barabanov, "The Role of Indemnification Agreements and Legal Liability in Railroad Disasters: A Financial Market Perspective," International Journal of Managerial Finance 3:4 (2007): 338-359.
- Barabanov, Sergey S. and T. V. Avdeyeva, "Adopting a Theoretical Framework for Teaching Finance: A Vygotskian Perspective," Advances in Financial Education 5 (Fall 2007): 62-76.
- Walker, T. J., K. Pukthuanthong, and S. Barabanov, "On the Stock Market’s Reaction to Major Railroad Accidents: An Empirical Analysis," The Journal of the Transportation Research Forum 45:5 (Spring 2006): 23-39.
- "Investors, Institutional." In International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, Vol. 4, 2nd ed., edited by William A. Darity, Jr., 135-137. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2008.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- The Outstanding Paper Award at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2008
- Gold medal for academic excellence, Russian Federation, 1990
- Fourth, sixth, and ninth places in the All-Russian Academic Olympiads in physics, math, and chemistry respectively
Western Finance Association
American Finance Association
Financial Management Association International
Midwest Finance Association