Associate Professor : Marketing Department
Send an email
Lisa Abendroth teaches primarily in the graduate and executive programs. Her teaching expertise ranges from general marketing management to specialties such as integrated marketing communications, branding, new product innovation, pricing, global strategy and customer relationship management, all based on a deep understanding of consumer behavior. She also leads master’s-level study abroad courses to the emerging markets of South America and India, and has taught internationally in China and Japan for Boston University; Germany, Russia and Thailand for Duke Corporate Education; and Chile and Costa Rica for Seminarium.
Abendroth’s current research focuses on word-of-mouth marketing, customer satisfaction and repurchase, and sustainable business in emerging markets. Additional research examines purchasing behavior in situations that are limited by time, quantity or accessibility, as may occur in sales promotions, online auctions or items of limited availability (e.g. souvenirs). She has published in Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing Communications, Advances in Consumer Research, International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research, Journal of the Operational Research Society, and the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
Before joining St. Thomas, Abendroth was the faculty director for the Professional Evening MBA program at Boston University, where she was also a marketing professor. She received her B.S. in economics with a concentration in marketing from the Wharton School and her B.A. in sociology from the University of Pennsylvania. Her Ph.D. in marketing is from Duke University.more
B.A., sociology, University of Pennsylvania
B.S.E., marketing, University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School
Ph.D., marketing, Duke University
- Customer satisfaction, retention, and regret
- Time restrictions and decision-making
- Peer-to-peer communications
- Marketing in emerging markets
- Word-of-mouth marketing effectiveness
- Information processing in the repurchase decision
Abendroth, Lisa and James Heyman, "Honesty is the Best Policy: The Effects of Disclosure in Word-of-Mouth Marketing," Journal of Marketing Communications (forthcoming).
- "The Souvenir Purchase Decision: Effects of Online Availability," International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality Research 5:2 (2011): 173-183.
- Abendroth, Lisa and Kristin Diehl, "Now or Never: Effects of Limited Opportunities on Patterns of Regret Over Time," Journal of Consumer Research 33 (2006): 342-351.
- Hanna, R. C., P. D. Berger, and Lisa J. Abendroth, "Optimizing Time Limits: An Email Application," Journal of the Operational Research Society 56 (2005): 15-24.
- Swain, S. D., R. C. Hanna and Lisa J. Abendroth, "Buying Time: The Consumer Psychology of Time Limits," Builders & Leaders, Fall (2004): 26-27.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- Broderick Award for Service to the Graduate Program, School of Management, Boston University, 2006.
Invited International Presentations
- "Refocusing on Strategy in Marketing Communications." Paper presented at Seminarium: International Congress on Marketing and Sales, San Jose, Costa Rica, April, 2008.
- "Advances in Marketing Promotions." Paper presented at Seminarium Chile's International Congress on Marketing and Sales, Santiago, Chile, April, 2007.
Current Community Service
The Arc Greater Twin Cities, Marketing Committee