Master of Business Communication
International Student Information
If you are not a resident of the United States and would like to be considered for the UST MBC Program, please review the following list before completing your application file. Apply before December 1 for spring semester, by March 30 for summer session or July 1 for fall semester.
All International Student UST MBC application files will include:
- A resume which reflects a minimum of two years of full-time work experience.
- An UST MBC application form and a nonrefundable $40.00 (USD) application fee. Fees are accepted in the form of cash, check (made payable to the University of St. Thomas) or money order.
- TOEFL test scores. If English is not your first language, you must achieve a score of 80 or higher on the Test of English as a Foreign Language, including a minimum score of 20 for both the writing and speaking sections of the test.. The University of St. Thomas (school code #6110) must receive TOEFL scores directly from the Educational Testing Service. (See the International Admissions link below for other accepted English assessment exams.)
- Academic transcripts. Official transcripts from ALL undergraduate and graduate institutions you have attended are required, even if transfer courses or grades appear on your degree-granting transcript. Transcripts should be sent directly from the institution along with the completed transcript request form. Transcripts must be submitted in sealed envelopes and signed by the appropriate university official.
- International Student Questionnaire and Financial Certification Form. You may contact the UST MBC program to request a copy of this form or visit the UST International Admissions web site. Please read this required form thoroughly and begin gathering documentation early.
If your academic credentials are from a country other than the United States, please submit the following:
- Transcript/Marksheet (an official listing of the subjects you have studied and the grades/marks received in each class).
- Diploma (an official certificate showing the exact name of your degree and the date you received it). If your transcript clearly specifies the name of your degree and your date of graduation, then you do not need to submit a diploma.
- English translations. For all transcripts and diplomas in a language other than English, please submit BOTH the original documents as well as an English translation of them. A translation, unaccompanied by the original documents from which the translation originated, is not an acceptable educational credential.
- Transcript/credential evaluation. Please contact our admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org for approved evaluation providers, or UST makes this service available for a fee of $100. We require applicants" credentials to be at least the equivalent to a four-year bachelor's degree from a regionally-accredited U.S. institution.
Degree applicants will also include:
- GMAT or GRE test scores. Degree candidates must provide scores from either the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). The scores must be sent directly to the University of St. Thomas from the testing service GMAT or GRE.
- Personal essay. A 1-2 page long personal essay that identifies your career objectives and explains how an UST MBC degree supports them.
Certificate applicants will need to schedule a writing assessment, which is a sample of a student's writing on an assigned topic, arranged through the UST MBC office at a pre-scheduled time. If you are not currently in Minnesota this will be arranged via e-mail or fax. Choose a convenient time to complete this before the application deadline.
For additional assistance
The International Admissions Office at the University of St. Thomas determines the deadline date for international student admission each term. The office coordinates international student orientation each semester and will answer questions about student visas.