History

Rooted in tradition, focused on the future of business.

Photo of the former Minneapolis campus building

The University of St. Thomas is a school rich in history with a long-standing tradition of providing outstanding education to those motivated by a desire to learn. The following timeline shows the growth experienced by the Opus College of Business over the years.

1895 - 1985

1895

Two-year "Commercial Course" added to College of St. Thomas (CST) curriculum.

1920

School of Commerce established at CST awarding Bachelor of Science in Commerce.

1931

School of Commerce becomes School of Business with three departments: Economics, Finance and Accounting, and General Business.

1940

Undergraduate majors grow to include Accounting, General Business, Labor Relations and Personnel Administration, Marketing and Pre-Law.

1957

Management Center formed (renamed the Center for Business Excellence in 2004).

1974

Graduate Programs in Management, an evening MBA program, begins on the St. Paul campus. Eugene Kotz is founding dean. Concentrations include Health Care Management, Nonprofit Management and Public Management.

1976

First female faculty member hired in Business program.

1980

Concentrations of Accounting, Finance, Marketing and Management instituted within the Department of Business.

1981

Endowed Chair in Small Business and Entrepreneurship established.

1982

Dean Kotz starts the Professional Manager's Program, which later becomes the Executive MBA program.

1985/6

Several noncredit centers and institutes, such as the Center for Entrepreneurship and the Center for Real Estate Management, are established.

1986 - 2006

1986

Graduate Programs in Management becomes Graduate School of Business.

1990

Department of Business becomes Division of Business with departments of Management, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, and Entrepreneurship and Business Law.

1990

College of St. Thomas becomes University of St. Thomas.

1991

Graduate School of Business moves to newly established Minneapolis campus.

2000

Entrepreneurship/Business Law split into Department of Entrepreneurship and Department of Legal Studies in Business.

2001

Graduate School of Business combines with Undergraduate Division of Business to become the College of Business.

2002

Christopher Puto named dean of the College of Business; William Raffield named senior associate dean.

2004

Ground broken in Minneapolis for Schulze Hall, new home of the Schulze School of Entrepreneurship.

2005

Schulze School of Entrepreneurship opens for classes September 2005.

2005

Schulze Hall is dedicated, October 20, 2005.

2006

McNeely Hall is dedicated, October 18, 2006.

2006

College of Business renamed Opus College of Business in honor of the Opus Group and its founder, University of St. Thomas trustee Gerry Rauenhorst.

2007 - Present

2007

The Veritas Institute (originally named the SAIP Institute) is launched to assist companies in improving their ethical conduct by implementing the Self-Assessment and Improvement Process.

2008

An anonymous donor gives $50 million for St. Thomas business programs. In addition, Philadelphia businessman Harry Halloran donates $10 million to support business ethics.

2008

Thirteen full-time faculty members are added, beginning a hiring streak that will double the faculty count to 105 by 2010.

2010

St. Thomas becomes the first private university in Minnesota to receive accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (AACSB).

2012

St. Thomas receives national ranking of 104 by U.S. News & World Report in its first year of ranking eligibility, placing it in the top 25 percent of accredited U.S. business schools.

2012

Dean Christopher Puto announces his resignation from the Opus College of Business. 

2014

St. Thomas is ranked 100 by U.S. News & World Report among accredited U.S. Business Schools.

2014

Dr. Stefanie Lenway, dean of the Broad School at Michigan State University, is selected as the new dean of the Opus College of Business.