June 28, 2012
Aquatic ecology, focused on:
- Biotic and abiotic factors responsible for the structure of aquatic food webs.
- Biogeochemistry of aquatic ecosystems.
- Community and ecosystem ecology of shallow lakes and wetlands.
- Role of food-web interactions in the alternative stable state model for shallow lakes.
- Biotic influences on species diversity in aquatic ecosystems.
- 2013-2016. Sustaining lakes in a changing environment (SLICE): Phase 2. Funded by the Minnesota LCCMR. Collaborative research with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Division.
- 2012-2015. Morphometry and trophic ecology of ciscoes in Minnesota lakes. Collaborative research with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Fisheries Division.
Other Recent Projects
- 2009-2013. Collaborative Research (RUI): Burial of organic carbon in temperate, shallow lakes. Funded by the National Science Foundation. Collaborative research with the University of Minnesota and the St. Croix Watershed Research Station.
- 2010-2013. Quantifying Carbon Burial in Healthy Minnesota Wetlands. Funded by the Minnesota LCCMR. Collaborative research with the University of Minnesota.
- 2010-2012. Developing Sustainable and Cost-Effective Approaches to Conservation and Management of Shallow Lakes in Minnesota. Funded by the Minnesota LCCMR. Collaborative research with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Fisheries and Wildlife divisions.
Publications & Presentations (undergraduates underlined)
- Gorman, M.W., K.D. Zimmer, B.R. Herwig, M.A. Hanson, R.G. Wright, S.R. Vaughn, and J.A. Younk. 2014. Phosphorus, fish biomass, and watersheds as drivers of phytoplankton abundance in shallow lakes. Science of the Total Environment 466–467:849–855.
- Hobbs, W.O., K.M. Theissen, S.M. Hagen, C.W. Bruchu, B.C. Czeck, J.M. Ramstack Hobbs, K.D. Zimmer. 2014. The successful preservation of a healthy shallow lake ecosystem through landscape controls: the role of protected areas and stable aquatic food webs. Journal of Paleolimnology 51:405-420.
- Hobbs, W.O., D.R. Engstrom, S.P. Scottler, K.D. Zimmer, and J.B. Cotner. 2013. Estimating modern carbon burial rates in lakes using a single sediment sample. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods 11:316-326.
- Herwig, B.R., L.W. Schroeder, K.D. Zimmer, M.A. Hanson, D.F. Staples, R.W. Wright, and J.A. Younk. 2013. Fish influences on amphibian presence and abundance in prairie and parkland landscapes of Minnesota, U.S.A. Journal of Herpetology 47:489–497.
- Hanson M.A. B.R. Herwig, K.D. Zimmer, J. Fieberg, S.R. Vaughn, R.G. Wright J.A. Younk. 2012. Comparing effects of lake- and watershed-scale influences on communities of aquatic invertebrates in shallow lakes. PLoS ONE 7: e44644.
- Hobbs W.O., J.M.R. Hobbs T. LaFrancoi, K.D. Zimmer, K.M. Theissen, M.B. Edlund, N. Michelutti, M.G. Butler, M.A. Hanson, and T. Carlson. 2012. A 200-year perspective on alternative stable state theory and lake management from a biomanipulated shallow lake. Ecological Applications 22:1483–1496.
- Theissen K.M., J.B. Cotner, L.M. Domine, W.O. Hobbs, S. Sugita, and K.D. Zimmer. 2012. The altered ecology of Lake Christina: A record of regime shifts, land use change, and lake management from a temperate shallow lake. Science of the Total Environment 433: 336–346.
- Friederichs, S.J., K.D. Zimmer, B.R. Herwig, M.A. Hanson, and J.R. Fieberg. 2011. Total phosphorus and piscivore mass as drivers of food web characteristics in shallow lakes. Oikos 120:756-765
- Herwig, B.R., K.D. Zimmer, M.A. Hanson, M.L. Konsti, J.A. Younk, R.W. Wright, S.R. Vaughn, and M.D. Haustein. 2010. Factors influencing fish distributions in shallow lakes in prairie and prairie-parkland regions of Minnesota, USA. Wetlands 30:600-619.
- Zimmer, K.D., M.A. Hanson, B.R. Herwig, and M.L. Konsti. 2009. Thresholds and stability of alternative regimes in shallow prairie-parkland lakes of central North America. Ecosystems 12:843-852.
- Potthoff, A.J., B.R. Herwig, M.A. Hanson, K.D. Zimmer, M.G. Butler, J.R. Reed, B.G. Parson, M.C. Ward, and D.W. Willis. 2008. Cascading food web effects of piscivore introductions in shallow lakes. Journal of Applied Ecology 45:1170-1179.
- Verant, M.L., M.L. Konsti, K.D. Zimmer, and C.A. Deans. 2007. Factors influencing nitrogen and phosphorus excretion rates by fish in a shallow lake. Freshwater Biology 52:1968-1981.
- Herwig, B.R., and K.D. Zimmer. 2007. Population dynamics and prey consumption by fathead minnows in prairie wetlands: importance of detritus and larval fish. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 16:282-294.
- Hood J.M., S. Brovold, R.W. Sterner, M. Villar-Argaiz, K.D. Zimmer. 2006. Near infrared spectrophotometry (NIRS) for the analysis of seston carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus from diverse sources. Limnology and Oceanography Methods 4:96-104.
- Scheffer, M., G.J. van Geest, K.D. Zimmer, E. Jeppesen, M.G. Butler, M.A. Hanson, M. Søndergaard, S. Declerck, and L. De Meester. 2006. Small habitat size and isolation can promote species richness: second-order effects on biodiversity in shallow lakes and ponds. Oikos 112:227-231.
- Zimmer, K.D., B.H. Herwig, and L.M. Laurich. 2006. Nutrient excretion by fish in wetland ecosystems and its potential to support algal production. Limnology and Oceanography 51:197-207.
- Hanson, M.A., K.D. Zimmer, M.G. Butler, B.A. Tangen, B.H. Herwig, and N.H. Euliss. 2005. Biotic interactions as determinants of ecosystem structure in prairie wetlands: an example using fish.Wetlands 25:764-775.
- Herwig, B.R., M.A. Hanson, J.R. Reed, B.G. Parsons, A.J. Pothoff, M.C. Ward, K.D. Zimmer, M.G. Butler, D.W. Willis, and V.A. Snook. 2004. Walleye stocking as a tool to suppress fathead minnows and improve habitat quality in semipermanent and permanent wetlands in the prairie pothole region of Minnesota. Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Special Publication Number 159.
- Angeler, D.G., P. Chow-Fraser, M.A. Hanson, S. Sánchez-Carillo, and K.D. Zimmer. 2003. Biomanipulation: a useful tool for freshwater wetland mitigation? Freshwater Biology 48:2203-2213.
- Laurich, L.M., K.D. Zimmer, M.G. Butler, and M.A. Hanson. 2003. Selectivity for zooplankton prey by fathead minnows and brook sticklebacks. Wetlands 23:416-422.
- Zimmer, K.D., M.A. Hanson, and M.G. Butler. 2003. Interspecies relationships, community structure, and factors influencing the abundance of submerged macrophytes in prairie wetlands. Wetlands:717-728.
- Zimmer, K.D., M.A. Hanson, and M.G. Butler. 2003. Relationships among nutrients, phytoplankton, macrophytes, and fish in prairie wetlands. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 60:721-730.
- Zimmer, K.D., M.A. Hanson, and M.G. Butler. 2002. Effects of fathead minnows and restoration on prairie wetland ecosystems. Freshwater Biology 47:2071-2086.
- Melaas, C.L., K.D. Zimmer, M.G. Butler, and M.A. Hanson. 2001. Effects of rotenone on aquatic invertebrate communities in prairie wetlands. Hydrobiologia 459:177-186.
- Muscha, M.J., K.D. Zimmer, M.G. Butler, and M.A. Hanson. 2001. A comparison of horizontally and vertically deployed aquatic invertebrate activity traps. Wetlands 21:301-307.
- Zimmer, K.D., M.A. Hanson, M.G. Butler, and W.G. Duffy. 2001. Size distributions of aquatic invertebrates in two prairie wetlands, with and without fish, with implications for community production. Freshwater Biology 46:1373-1386.
- Zimmer, K.D., M.A. Hanson, and M.G. Butler. 2001. Effects of fathead minnow colonization and removal on a prairie wetland ecosystem. Ecosystems 4:346-357.
- Zimmer, K.D., M.G. Butler, M.A. Hanson, and W.G. Duffy. 2001. Influences of fathead minnows and aquatic macrophytes on nutrient partitioning and ecosystem structure in two prairie wetlands. Archiv für Hydrobiologie 150:411-433.
- Hanson, M.A., C.C. Roy, N.H. Euliss, K.D. Zimmer, M.R. Riggs, and M.G. Butler. 2000. A surface-associated activity trap for capturing water-surface and aquatic invertebrates in wetlands. Wetlands 20:205-212.
- Zimmer, K.D., M.A. Hanson, and M.G. Butler. 2000. Factors influencing invertebrate communities in prairie wetlands: a multivariate approach. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 57:76-85.
- Noraker, T.D., K.D. Zimmer, M.G. Butler, and M.A. Hanson. 1999. Dispersion and distribution of marked fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas) in prairie wetlands. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 14:287-292.
- Wang, L.I., K.D. Zimmer, P.A. Diedrich, and S.F. Williams. 1996. The two-story rainbow trout fishery and its effect on the zooplankton community in a Minnesota lake. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 11:67-80.
Current Student Researchers
- Ryan Grow
- Meg Thompson
- Angela Tipp
- Ryan Trapp
Previous Student Researchers
- Mikkel Haugen
- Adam Johannsen
- Kristine Maurer
- Dustin Potter
- Heidi Telste
- Patti Gamboni
- Luke Schroeder
- Matt Gorman
- Sam Friederichs
- Rian Cleary
- Sarah Derr
- Krista Damme
- John Balk
- Mitch Haustein
- Melissa Konsti
- Patti Gamboni
- Michelle Verant
- Luke Schroeder
- Elisabeth McHale
- Dustin Potter
- Jordan Goetting
- Charles Bruchu
- Vincent Floeder
- Ann Goding
- Dan Probst
- Luke Ginger
- Luke Nolby
- Tom Langer
- Adam Johannsen
- Rachel Rockwell
- Ariel Gittens
- Rachel Sweet
- Sarah McNamara
- Leah Domine
- Will Hobbs
- Adam Kay