English Proficiency Requirements For Undergraduate Applicants
- Score reports must be sent to St. Thomas directly from the testing center.
- Score reports must not be more than 2 years old.
- Score reports must be official and meet one of the options below.
The University of St. Thomas reserves the right to require additional testing of any incoming student's English skills.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score report of 80 on the Internet Based TOEFL (iBT) with a subscore of 20 on the written and 20 on the speaking sections. (The St. Thomas TOEFL code is 6110.)
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score report of 6.5.
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) minimum score report of 77, and score report must be accompanied by an official letter from the testing coordinator.
- SAT critical reading score of 450.
- ACT English score of 19. (The St. Thomas ACT code is 2102.)
- IB (International Baccalaureate) Higher Level English score of 4.
- AP (College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement) examination in English Literature/Composition score of 4.
- ELS Language Center successful completion of Level 112, and with the recommendation of academic director.
- Bachelor degree from an accredited U.S. college or university (not an online degree).
- Transfer of 28 credits or more from an accredited U.S. college or university, with the transfer equivalent of UST English 121 and English 206, with a grade of B or above in the course transfer, and with a CGPA of 2.75 or above.
- Transfer of one semester or more from an accredited U.S. college or university with a CGPA of 2.75 or above, and testing out of the ELS Language Center college placement exam.
Applicants who do not meet any of the above English proficiency requirements may be offered conditional admission.
"Conditional admission" is offered to applicants whose academic credentials are high enough for admission to St. Thomas, but who have not met all of St. Thomas's English proficiency requirements for admission.
Testing Upon Arrival
All undergraduate international students are required to take a placement test for English composition classes upon arrival to St. Thomas.
Exceptions to this requirement are those who have a verifiable TOEFL score of 100 ibt or above, an IELTS score of 7.5 or above, or a Bachelor degree from an accredited US college or university (not an online degree). Students may be required to take the placement test based on submitted transcripts; this will be determined by the director of international admissions.
Please plan to take the TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, SAT, ACT, AP, or IB exam by the following date: