John T. Wendt
Associate Professor : Ethics and Business Law Department
Send an email
B.A., humanities, Summa Cum Laude, University of Minnesota
M.A., American studies, University of Minnesota
J.D., William Mitchell College of Law
- Sports law
- Sports law
- Olympics policies and business
- Arbitration issues
- Entertainment law
- Doping and performance enhancement abuse in sports
- Law and popular culture
- Olympic and international sports arbitration
- Teaching and student assessment
- Miller, J.J. and J. T. Wendt, “The Lack of Risk Communication at an Elite Sports Event: A Case Study of the FINA 10 K Marathon Swimming World Cup,” International Journal of Sport Communication 5 (2012): 265-278.
- Wendt, J.T. and J. J. Miller, “Tragedy at Fujairah: Risk management and legal issues on the death of Fran Crippen,” University of Denver Sports and Entertainment Law Journal 12 (2012): 71 – 101.
- Wendt, J.T. and P. C. Young, “Reputational Risk and Social Media,” University of Mississippi Sports Law Review 1 (2011): 97-126.
- “The FEI and the Continuing Fight against Doping in Equestrian Sport,” The International Sports Law Journal 3:4 (2011).
- Miller, J.J., J. T. Wendt, and N. Potter, “Implications for concussion assessments and return-to-play standards in intercollegiate football: How are the risks managed?" Journal of Sport Administration & Supervision 3:1 (2011).
- Miller, J.J., J. T. Wendt, and N. Potter, Whitepaper: “Heat-related illness in interscholastic football: What coaches and athletic administrators need to understand,” Journal of Contemporary Athletics 6:2 (2011).
- “The Need for WADA to address Confidentiality Leaks in Drug Testing in Olympic Sports: The Ian Thorpe Situation,” The International Sports Law Journal 3:4 (2010): 47-54.
- “The Road to Vancouver; Issues at the XXI Olympic Winter Games,” Entertainment and Sports Lawyer 28:1 (2010): 3-10.
- Miller, J.J., J.T. Wendt, and P. C. Young, “Fourth Amendment considerations and application of risk management principles for pat-down searches at professional football games,” Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport 20:2 (2010): 108-134.
- “The Crisis of Doping in Equestrian Sport,” Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, American Bar Association, Forum Committee on the Entertainment and Sports Industries 27:3 (2009).
- "The Road to Beijing and Beyond: A Time of Transition in the War on Doping," Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, American Bar Association, Forum Committee on the Entertainment and Sports Industries 26:4 (2009).
- Wendt, John, J. J. Miller and S. Kern, "Steroid Use in Interscholastic Athletics: Is There Reasonable Suspicion?" Journal of Contemporary Athletes 3:2 (2008): 111-128.
- Wendt, John and M. J. Garrison, "The Evolving Law of Employee Non-Competes: Recent Trends and an Alternative Policy Approach" American Business Law Journal 45:1 (2008): 107-186.
- Wendt, John, J. J. Miller and T. Seidler, "Tackling Steroid Abuse in Interscholastic Athletics: Perceptions of Athletic Directors," International Journal of Sport Management 9:2 (2008): 117-133.
- Wendt, John, K. Combs, S. Gibson, J. Hays and J. Saly, "Enhancing Curriculum and Delivery: Linking Assessment to Learning Objectives," Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education 33:1 (February, 2008).
- Wendt, John and J. J. Miller, "Interscholastic Athletic Directors Perceptions of Steroid Use: A State Study," Journal of Contemporary Athletics 2:3 (2006).
- "The 2006 Olympic Games - Adventures in Torino," Entertainment and Sports Lawyer, American Bar Association, Forum Committee on the Entertainment and Sports Inudstries 24:1, (Spring, 2006).
Significant Scholarly Honors
- Opus College of Business Julie Hays Outstanding Teacher Award Nominee, 2010, 2011 and 2012
- Opus College of Business Susan E. Heckler Research Excellence Award, 2012
- Department of Ethics and Business Law “Above and Beyond” Service Award, 2010, 2011 and 2012
- University of Minnesota Aquatics Hall of Fame, 2007
- Outstanding Faculty and Keynote Speaker as selected by the Accounting MBA Graduate Students and 10-Year Anniversary, 2002
- Dedicated Service Award, University of St. Thomas Graduate School of Business, 1999
- Accounting MBA Faculty Award, University of St. Thomas, 1998
- Business Excellence Award for Innovation in Teaching, University of St. Thomas, 1997
- Alumni of Notable Achievement Award, University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts, 1997
- "AV" rating from Martindale-Hubble, the highest available ranking by Martindale-Hubble
- 20 Year AV Anniversary Award, Martindale-Hubble, 2012
- Governor's Certificate of Commendation for Service to the State of Minnesota, 1987
- Top Ten Announcers in the United States by Splash Magazine, the official publication of USA Swimming, Inc., 2000
- De La Salle High School Centennial Award (10 Minnesota State Championships in Swimming, Diving and Water Polo) 2000
- Outstanding Coach Award, University of Minnesota Department of Recreation Sports, 1988
- Minnesota High School Water Polo Association Coach of the Year, 1973, 1974, 1979
Current Community Relationships
- Member, International Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Member American Arbitration Association Olympic Disputes
- Advisory Board Member, Century College Sports Facilities Management
- Member, LPGA Arbitration Panel
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators