Dawn R. Swink
Associate Professor : Ethics and Business Law Department
Send an email
Dawn Swink has three main research interests: telecommuting and employment law, e-commerce and reproductive law. She has published numerous articles in scholarly journals, such as the American Business Law Journal, Brigham Young University Law Review and the University of Maryland Law School’s Journal of Health Care Law & Policy. She won several awards for her articles, including Distinguished Paper of the Proceedings Award for the ALSB and Best Paper awards. She was an invited scholar to the Huber Hurst Research Seminar, where one of 10 legal studies scholars in the country are selected to participate in intensive research seminars to discuss current research.
Swink is currently the editor-in-chief of the Midwest Law Journal, an articles reviewer for the American Business Law Journal and a staff articles reviewer of the Journal for Studies in Legal Studies.
She has served as a president of both the Midwest and Tri-State Academies of Legal Studies in Business. She is currently a member of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business, the Midwest and South Academies of Legal Studies in Business and the American Bar Association.more
B.A., international relations and political science, Minnesota State University
J.D., Drake University School of Law
- Constitutional law in business
- Donor liability-assisted reproduction
- Employee relations
- Employment law
- Internet law
- Telecommuter law
- Employee Internet use and productivity
- Health issues and employer liability
- Reproductive law: medical advances, fertility tourism, and customizing children
- Telecommuting in the 21st Century
- Reproductive industries and e-commerce
- Constitutionality and business implications of same-sex marriage
- Swink, Dawn and Brad Reich, "Outsourcing Human Reproduction: Embryos & Surrogacy Services in the CyberProcreation Era," U of Maryland Law School Journal of Health Care Law & Policy 14:2 (Spring, 2011).
- Swink, Dawn and Brad Reich, "You Can’t Put the Genie Back in the Bottle: The Potential Rights and Obligations of Egg Donors in the Cyberprocreation Era," Albany Law Journal of Science and Technology 20:1 (2010): 1-57.
- Swink, Dawn and J. Brad Reich, "Caveat Vendor: Potential Progeny, Paternity, and Product Liability Online," Brigham Young University Law Review 4 (Fall, 2007).
- Swink, D. and J. Halgas, "The Perfect Storm of Constitutional Law: A Legal and Business Analysis of Same-Sex Marriage." ALSB Conference proceedings, 2005.
- "Employee Use of the Internet: Where Voyage Is Forbidden," Midwest Law Review 20 (Fall, 2004): 101-129.
- "Back to Bakke: Affirmative Action Revisited in Educational Diversity," Brigham Young U. Education and Law Journal 1 (April, 2003): 211-256.
- "Telecommuter Law: A New Frontier of Legal Liability," American Business Law Journal 38:4 (Summer, 2001): 857-900. Reprinted in workers compensation Laws Review 24 (2002): 89-132.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- Invited Participant, Labor and Employment Relations Association National Conference, 2007.
- Distinguished Paper Award, Academy of Legal Studies in Business 2005
- Invited Participant, Huber Hurst Research Seminar, 2005
- Best Paper in Any Source Award, Midwest Academy of Legal Studies in Business, 2004, 2005.
- Academy of Business Disciplines (articles reviewer)
Current Editorial Board Appointments
- Editor-in-Chief, Midwest Law Journal
- American Business Law Journal
- Journal of Legal Studies in Education