Associate Professor of Business Economics : Finance Department
Send an email
John A. Spry is an associate professor in the Finance Department. He earned his B.S. in economics at Ohio State University, and his M.A. and Ph.D. in economics at the University of Rochester. He has been a member of the faculty at Rutgers University and was a visiting professor at Brandeis University and Ball State University.
He has authored several publications in scholarly journals, has made frequent conference presentations and has served as a reviewer for academic journals. His current areas of research are state and local public finance, the economics of state lotteries, the effects of tax rates on tax bases and applied non-parametric econometrics. His work as a consultant includes a report on the economics and taxation of riverboat casinos for the Indiana Legislature and a report on tax expenditures and the budget process for the Minnesota Department of Revenue. He was a member of the Minnesota Governor’s 21st Century Tax Reform Commission.more
B.A., economics, Ohio State University
M.A., economics, University of Rochester
Ph.D., economics, University of Rochester
- Public finance
- Industrial organization
- Economics of gambling
- Economics of education
- Organizational governance and architecture
- State and local taxation
- The tax incidence of state lottery games
- The effects of income and casino competition on charitable gambling
- Combs, Kathryn L. and John A. Spry, "Who Plays the Numbers Games in the Middle of the Day?" Applied Economics 44:7 (2012): 889-897.
- Combs, Kathy, Jaebeom Kim and John A. Spry, "The Relative Regressivity of Seven Lottery Games," Applied Economics 40:1 (2008): 35-39.
- "The Effects of Fiscal Competition on Local Property and Income Tax Reliance," Topics in Economic Analysis & Policy 5:1 (2005): 1-19.
- Spry, John and J. Crowley, "Assessing the Impact of Monopoly Toll Road Service Areas," Eastern Economic Journal 30:3 (2004): 381-397.
- "The Determinants of Indiana Lottery Sales." Paper presented at the National Tax Association Conference, Texas, November, 2003.
- Coelho, P., J. McClure and John Spry, "The Social Responsibility of Corporate Management: A Classical Critique," Mid-American Journal of Business 18:1 (2003): 15-24.