Mary Schmid Daugherty
Associate Professor : Finance Department
Send an email
B.A., marketing, College of St. Thomas
M.B.A., finance, University of Minnesota
Ph.D., educational administration, University of Minnesota
C.F.A.(Chartered Financial Analyst)
- Equity valuation
- Family business governance and strategy
- Portfolio management
- Student-managed investment funds
- Valuation issues in family controlled publically held companies
- Finance issues for family business owners
- Performance metrics for student managed funds
- Evaluating what it means to be socially responsible in a student managed fund
- Daugherty, M.S. and Ernesto Ponza. Family Business, 4th edition. United States: South-Western Cengage Learning, 2013.
- Daugherty, M. S., T. Jithendranathan, "Underpricing of IPOs of U.S. Family Controlled Businesses," International Research Journal of Finance and Economics 90 (2012): 193-206.
- "Understanding the Family Business Landscape: Key Factors of Family Business Success." In Family Business Landscape, edited by R. Sorenson, publication pending.
- Daugherty, M. S. and D. Georgieva, "Foreign Cultures, Sarbanes-Oxley Act and Cross-Delistings," Journal of Multinational Financial Management 21, 4 (2011): 208-223.
- "Financial Considerations and Valuation of the Family Business." In Family Business, 3rd edition, edited by Ernesto J. Poza, 201-230. South-Western Cengage Learning, 2009.
- "IPO Pricing in the Context of Family Controlled Businesses," Southern Finance Association (2005).
- "International Diversification: A Comparison of American Depository Receipts Indices and Country Funds," Financial Decisions (2003).
- "Establishing a Student Managed Fund." Business Education Annual Meeting (2001).
Peer Reviewed Proceedings and Presentations
“Preparing Next Generation Directors: New Models for Linking the Family with the Professional Board." Paper presented at The Family Firm Institute Annual Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, October, 2011.
- “Foreign Cultures, Sarbanes-Oxley Act and Cross-Delisting’s." Paper presented at the Southern Finance Association Annual Meeting, Key West, Florida, November, 2011.
- “Understanding the Family Business Landscape:
Key Factors of Family and Business Success”. Paper presented at the Third Annual Conference on Family Capital, Family Business, and Free Enterprise,
Minneapolis, Minnesota, September 23-24, 2010.
- "Underpricing of Family Business IPOs." Paper presented at the Family Firm Institute Research Symposium, London, England, October, 2008.
- “Dollars and Cents: Forging a Fair Valuation of the Family Firm." Paper presented at the Family Business Center, University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October, 2011.
- “The Move Towards Stewardship in the Family Business." Paper presented at the Family Business Center seminar for Family Business Network participants, University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis, Minnesota, February, 2010.
- “Building Financial Acumen: Financial Accounting and Analysis.” Paper presented at the Family Business Center seminar for Family Business Network participants, University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis, Minnesota, January, 2010.
- “Family Business Governance." Faculty member for 3 day seminar hosted by Southern Maine Family Business Institute, June 2007, June 2008, and June 2009.
Julie Hays Teaching Award, Opus College of Business, University of St. Thomas, May 2011.
- Named Family Business Fellow, Family Business Center, University of St. Thomas, 2010 - present
- Awarded Innovation in Teaching Award, University of St. Thomas, 2003.
- Honored by an alumnus with a $2 million Endowed Scholarship, the Mary Schmid Daugherty Commitment to Student Learning Scholarship.
- Honored to have the Board of Governors Boardroom named the Schmid Daugherty room based on a significant gift from an alumnus.
- Earned CFA Certificate of Achievement for years 1987-present
- CFA Certificates of Achievement, 1987-2010
- Director / Advisor of various private businesses
Membership on For Profit Boards
- Advisory Board of Simplex Construction, 2003 - present.
- Board of Directors of Crescent Electric Supply Company, 2010-present. Chair of Governance Committee.
- Board of Directors of Mairs and Power, Inc., 2010 – present. Chair of Audit Committee
Membership on Non-Profit Boards
- Director and Vice-Chair on Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis Investment Advisory Council, 1998-present.
- National Association of Corporate Directors, Minnesota Chapter. Appointed 2013.
- Facilitate ownership transition issues
- Develop governance structure
- Evaluate opportunities for increasing value of the company
- Develop succession plans
- Educate family members on business operations
- Member of CFA Society of Minnesota, 1985 - present
- Lead Faculty member for CFA I, II, and III Review Course, 2008-2012
- (CFA) Coordinate University Programming, 2006 - 2009.
- (CFA) Elected President, 1997 - 1998.
- (CFA) Served as Ethics Chairperson, 1991 - 1995.
- National Association of Corporate Directors / Minnesota Association of Corporate Directors
- Association of Investment Management and Research
- Family Firm Institute
- Financial Analysts Federation
- National Association of Corporate Directors, 2012 - present