Lalith P. Samarakoon
Chair and Professor : Finance Department
Send an email
B.Sc., business administration (First Class), University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka
M.B.A., finance, University of New Hampshire
Ph.D., finance, University of Houston
FCA, Chartered Accountant
CFA, Chartered Financial Analyst
- Capital markets and corporate finance with special reference to emerging and frontier markets
- Equity and debt market development and policy
- Government debt management and policy
- Financing capability and stock returns of Chinese firms
- Dual board structures and IPO underpricing in Austria
- Asian iShares and spillover of returns and volatility
- Equity flows and the transmission of financial crises
- Characteristics of international financial market linkages
- Reverse stock splits: Intra-industry effects and bankruptcy
- Cross country differences in government debt policy and debt management practices
- Fonseka, M. M., Lalith P. Samarakoon, and Gao-liang Tian, "Equity Financing Capacity and Stock Returns: Evidence from China," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 22 (2012): 1277-1291.
- "Stock Market Interdependence, Contagion, and the U.S. Financial Crisis: The Case of Emerging and Frontier Markets," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 21 (2011): 724-742.
- "The Short-Run Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings in the Sri Lankan Stock Market," Journal of Multinational Financial Management 20 (2010): 197-213.
- "Asymmetric Investor Behavior between Buyside and Sellside: Evidence from Investor Classes in the Sri Lankan Stock Market," Journal of Multinational Financial Management 20 (2010): 93-113, (Lead Article).
- Jaleel, F. M. and L. P. Samarakoon, "Stock Market Liberalization and Return Volatility: Evidence from the Emerging Market of Sri Lanka," Journal of Multinational Financial Management 19 (2009): 409-4232.
- "The Relation Between Trades of Domestic and Foreign Investors and Stock Returns in Sri Lanka," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 19 (2009): 850-861.
Equity Securities: Theory and Practice, 1st Ed., Securities and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka, 2010.
Debt Securities: Markets, Instruments and Analysis, 1st Ed., Securities and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka, 2010.
The Financial Market of Sri Lanka, 1st Ed., Securities and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka, 2009.
The Stock Market of Sri Lanka, 4th Ed., Securities and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka, 2005.
Sri Lankan Corporate Bond Market, 1st Ed., 2000.
Major Advisory Work
Asian Development Bank (ADB)
United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
- U.S. State Department
- Central Bank of Sri Lanka
- Securities and Exchange Commission of Sri Lanka
- Ministry of Finance and Planning, Sri Lanka
- Colombo Stock Exchange
Major Community Relationships
Member, American Finance Association
Member, Financial Management Association
Member, Global Finance Association
Member, CFA Institute
Member, Minnesota CFA Society
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka