Assistant Professor : Finance Department
Send an email
B.A., political science, Macalester College
Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs Participant,
Planning and Land Use Studies, University of Oslo, Norway
M.B.A., University of St. Thomas
D.P.A., Doctorate in Public Administration, Hamline University
- Community Benefits Agreements
- Impact analysis practices in real estate development
- Real estate brokerage practices and standards of care
- Agency issues in real estate
- Arbitration in real estate and business disputes
- Business interruption and lost profits damages
- Agencyissues in real estate disputes
- Community and developer relationships and communication processes
- Nature and structure of Community Benefits Agreements
- Corporate real estate economic impact analysis using input-output modeling
- Economic and community contributions of shopping centers
- "Evaluating Economic Impacts of Corporate Real Estate Activities," Journal of Corporate Real Estate 13/3 (2011):181-196.
- "Evaluating Development and Community Benefits of Shopping Malls: A Case Study Using Input-Output Analysis," Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction 19/2 (2011): 111-125.
- Musil, Thomas and J. Halloran, "Arbitrating Multiple Peril Crop Insurance Disputes," Dispute Resolution Journal. American Arbitration Association (2009): 38-41.
- "What Development Regulatory Variables Say---or Don’t Say---About a Municipality," Journal of Real Estate Research 29/2 (2007): 159-171.
- "Critical Issues in Corporate Real Estate: Developing a Better Understanding of Public Sector Project Impact Analysis Practices," Journal of Corporate Real Estate 8/3 (2006): 151-162.
- "Integrating Business School Curricular Resources into Real Estate Practitioner Professional Development," Journal of Real Estate Practice and Education 8/1 (2005): 133-149. This paper won the 2004 American Real Estate Society Manuscript Prize in Real Estate Education.
- "Impact Analysis Practices in Economic Development," Economic Development Review 17/4 (2001): 111-116.
- "How Cities Measure the Benefits of Economic Development and Subsidies,” Business Xpansion Journal 2/10 (2001): 32-38.
- "Project Impact Analysis: Insights for Developers," Site Selection 46/2 (2001): 146-151.
- "Valuation of Development Impacts: A Review of Critical Cost Benefit Analysis Opportunities, Issues and Pitfalls for Appraisers," Valuation 2000: Papers and Proceedings (2000): 187-192.
- Karvel, G., T. Musil, and R. Sebastian, "Minnesota Business Migration: Relocation, Expansion, and Formation in Border States," American Experiment Quarterly 1/2 (1998): 67-85.
Honors and Awards
- Accredited Valuation Analyst (AVA) designation, National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts, 2008.
- Certificate of Recognition for outstanding leadership on the Board of Directors of Minnesota/Dakota’s Chapter of the CCIM-Commercial Investment Real Estate Institute. 2004.
- Named a Distinguished Fellow, The National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, 2002.
- Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Service, Appraisal Institute, 2001.
- Selected as a Member of the Appraisal Institute Leadership Development and Advisory Council, 2000.
- Building Owners and Managers Institute International Award for Outstanding Service, 1990.
- Certificate of Recognition from the Minneapolis City Council for Service to the Zoning Board of Adjustment, 1989.
- Certificate of Appreciation, Minnesota Department of Commerce, 1986.
Current Community Relationships
Editorial Board, Journal of Corporate Real Estate, 2006 to Present.
Co-editor, Journal of Real Estate Literature,2005 to Present.
Editorial Board, Minnesota Real Estate Journal,2005 to Present.
Arbitrator for the National Commercial Panel and Real Estate Arbitration Panel, American Arbitration Association, 1988 to Present.
- Arbitrator, International Centre for Dispute Resolution,2003 to Present.
- American Arbitration Association
- American Real Estate Society
- Corporate Real Estate Network (CORNET)
- National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts
- Urban Land Institute
- International Council of Shopping Centers