Professor : Ethics and Business Law Department
Send an email
Susan J. Marsnik has published in law, business and pedagogy journals, and has contributed to a scholarly book, corporate compliance training materials and encyclopedias. Her substantive work focuses on international and comparative intellectual property and privacy law. Her most recent work explores comparative approaches patents in the United States, Europe and various developing countries. Her pedagogical research includes innovative teaching methodologies and comparative approaches to training professionals in various common law jurisdictions. She has traveled widely, teaching at foreign universities and presenting her research at international conferences. In 2010, she served as a Fulbright Specialist at Beni Suef University’s Faculty of Law in Egypt, and in 2011 participated as a panelist at the World Arbitration Forum for Intellectual Property in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan.
Marsnik teaches undergraduate and graduate courses, including International Business Law, Communications Law and Business, and Law and Ethics in the European Union. Before her academic career, she practiced law with a boutique law firm. She also has experience as a professional in the book publishing industry, marketing legal services and consulting on law firm management issues. She serves on the editorial boards for the Journal of Legal Studies Education and The Journal of Commonwealth Law and Legal Education.more
B.A., English literature, University of Minnesota
J.D., University of Minnesota, School of Law
- Comparative patent law
- Comparative copyright law
- U.S. and European Union digital data privacy law
- Pedagogical theory
- Comparative patent law
- Marsnik, Susan J. and Dale B. Thompson, "Using Contract Negotiation Exercises to Develop Higher Order Thinking and Strategic Business Skills," Journal of Legal Studies Education 30:2 (2013).
- "Will the America Invents Act Post-Grant Review Improve the Quality of Patents? A Comparison with the European Patent Office Opposition." In The Changing Face of American Patent Law and Its Impact on Business, edited by Daniel R. Cahoy and Lynda J. Oswald. Northampton: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., forthcoming 2013.
- Marsnik, Susan J. and Robert Thomas, "Drawing a Line in the Patent Subject Matter Sands: Does Europe Prove a Solution to the Business Method and Software Patent Problem?" Boston College International & Comparative Law Review 34:2 (2011).
- Thach, Sharon and Susan J. Marsnik, "Patent Standards Under TRIPS and Pharmaceutical Industries in Brazil and India," Latin America Business Review 10:4 (2009): 239-261.
- "A Delicate Balance Upset: A Preliminary Survey of Exceptions and Limitations in U.S. and European Union Digital Copyright Law," International Business Law Journal 4 (2004): 110-129.
- Crutchfield George, Barbara, Lynch, Patricia and Susan J. Marsnik, "U.S. Multinational Employers: Navigating Through the Restrictions of the EU Data Privacy Directive with the 'Safe Harbor' Principles," American Business Law Journal 38 (2001): 735-783.
Significant Scholarly Honors
- 2010, Fulbright Senior Specialist, Beni Suef University, Beni Seuf, Eygpt
- Holmes/Cardozo Award, finalist, 2010
- 2001 Huber Hurst Research Seminar. Jury Decision- Making, Sexual Harassmentand the American Civil System - Results of a Trial Simulation
Current Editorial Board Appointments
- Journal of Legal Studies Education, Staff editor
- Journal of Commonwealth Law and Legal Education, Editorial Board